Re: [External] : [ELPA] Package cleanup

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [External] : [ELPA] Package cleanup
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 00:27:25 -0400

  > If the only virtue of being on ELPA is that I can install via
  > package.el then that seems like rather thin gruel.

The main virtue of ELPA is that we make sure that the package follows
our ethical criteria, so that it is acceptable for us to recommend it
to people.  A second virtue is that we can move the code into core Emacs.

A secondary benefit is that the Emacs developers can fix problems in
these packages, when we know of a specific problem.