Re: [External] : [ELPA] Package cleanup

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: [External] : [ELPA] Package cleanup
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:41:26 -0400

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 12:25 PM Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > I have found some packages that doesn't even work or rely on some
> > features that were obsoleted or removed.
>
> That's something entirely different.  Report such
> specific problems.

I would like to assume that ELPA is a somewhat curated
collection of packages.  Perhaps not as rigorously tested
and maintained as Emacs itself, but more so than some
package on github that has not seen an update in 5 years.

If the only virtue of being on ELPA is that I can install via
package.el then that seems like rather thin gruel.

Perhaps the bar for admission to ELPA is too low.  Could
we require automated tests that can be run regularly to
confirm package health?