RE: [External] : Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 17:36:03 +0000

> I've now switched master over to defaulting to proportional fonts in the
> mode line.  Customise the `mode-line' face to get the old look back.
>
> I've made the most obvious things that change size -- the U:-- thing,
> the top/bot, and the line/col thing -- use the `min-width' spec, so
> things should jump around (for those that care about that).
>
> There's probably more things that should be handled that way, but we'll
> take that as we go along.
>
> This is just a test: If everybody hates this default, we won't proceed,
> but we won't know unless we test it.  So we're now testing this on the
> trunk for a month.  Vote in a month.

I don't build Emacs, so can't see or tell just what you
changed.  But FWIW I've used a variable-pitch face for
`mode-line' for some time now, with no problems.

I just use this face setting for it:

((t (:inherit variable-pitch :background "PaleGoldenrod"
     :foreground "black"
     :box (:line-width -1 :style released-button))))

What have you changed, other than the font and, I guess,
some alignments?

Why change the default?  Isn't it easy enough for users
to customize to get the changes you're proposing?