Re: Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 09:20:18 +1100

Manuel Uberti <manuel.uberti@inventati.org> writes:

> On 25/11/21 13:39, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Manuel Uberti <manuel.uberti@inventati.org> writes:
>>
>>> Just to let you know, changing the default font to this:
>>>
>>> (custom-set-faces '(variable-pitch ((t (:family "Ubuntu")))))
>>>
>>> Makes it look better than what I see on emacs -Q.
>> Could you post some screenshots?  Here's -Q on Debian/bookworm:
>> With your setting:
>> Just looks smaller to me, not better.
>>

> It depends on which font you like more. I prefer the second screenshot with
> the
> Ubuntu font.

I think this is the crux of the matter - in the end, it will come down
to personal taste aesthetics. We are unlikely to find a configuration
which fits all tastes. However, very important to try this test to
identify the issues and see if we can fix them to allow more choice for
the user and make it easier to exercise that choice.

Personally, I use a very large font and I like the variable pitch fonts
for the mode line and header lines (actually, I also like them in
buffers which are 'pros' rather than code and really only want fixed
width for code buffers). It has been very difficult to find a fixed and
variable pitch fonts which are able to work well together, especially at
larger sizes and sticking with free/libre fonts. A lot of trial and
error and willingness to accept some level of ugliness in some
situations.

The big challenge has been in getting consistency. This can be
particularly challenging due to some packages and themes inheriting from
different faces in some interesting combinations.