Re: Grammar checking in Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Grammar checking in Emacs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 19:32:59 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Sadly it's not packaged for Debian (see
>   > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=403619 suggests for
>   > the details).  I can't see any info about using it on Fedora either.
>   > AFAICT the most popular way to install it is as a "snap" package, which
>   > I consider to be a euphemism for a blob :-(
>
> I think the same.
>
> I am starting to think that the GNU Project needs to adopt standard
> not to steer people towards programs which are released primarily via
> containers, on the grounds that it is too hard to tell whether they
> are actually free.

Not opposing Richard's statements in general, I would like to provide
several clarifications about LanguageTool:
1. It does not _require_ a server but can be used as a command line tool
2. It's source code is available via
   git clone https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool
   It is licensed under LGPL.

Best,