Re: Grammar checking in Emacs

From: Peter Oliver
Subject: Re: Grammar checking in Emacs
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 22:43:56 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2021, Stefan Monnier wrote:

IIUC (after looking at https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool)
this is structured as a grammar-checking server (written in Java) that
can run on a remote host and then client applications connect to it and
presumably send their text to it a bit like they'd do with an LSP
server, except the clients aren't expected to launch the server.

I recently enhanced flycheck-languagetool so that it’s able to start its own
server if so configured, so I’m sure something similar could be done with the
various other LanguageTool modes.

Sadly it's not packaged for Debian (see
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=403619 suggests for
the details).  I can't see any info about using it on Fedora either.

Fedora have pretty much given up on packaging Java applications now, I think.

AFAICT the most popular way to install it is as a "snap" package, which
I consider to be a euphemism for a blob :-(

You can unzip prebuilt JARs from
https://languagetool.org/download/LanguageTool-stable.zip, which seems simpler
but similarly blobby.

--