Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly ever

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any new method to deal with Emacs Fonts settings puzzles nearly every Chinese emacser?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 18:42:50 +0200

> From: "Feng Shu" <tumashu@163.com>
> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 00:19:48 +0800
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Maybe we can provide a custom to control this padding's width?
> I do not know this is a good idea or not.

How would we compute that padding width?  Emacs could use several
different fonts for both ASCII and Chinese.  For example, the bold and
italic styles could use different font metrics, and sometimes we use
special fonts for specialized faces, like the variable-pitch face etc.
A single value of padding can never DTRT in all of those cases.

I'm actually surprised that there are no font pairs that already solve
this problem.  Did no one find a solution for this problem, so that
Emacs needs to invent a wheel that no one thought about?