Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Maybe we're taking a wrong approach towards tree-sitte

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Maybe we're taking a wrong approach towards tree-sitter
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:07:54 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:
>  Probably I am wrong but 99% of the web developers (React, Nodejs,
> Angular) are using VSCode, the rest are with neovim; so we don't even
> have people with enough knowledge and motivation to implement one of
> those in Emacs one by one.
That might be for other reasons as well, like interaction modell,
wording and other idiosyncrasies of Emacs as discussed in numerous
threads about making Emacs popular, because of certain company is
backing VSCode etc. There are other editors like Adobe's Brackets which
came before VSCode and is by far less popular than VSCode. Looking at
recent MS business moves (AI, Github, copilot ...), it is now
understandable why they pour resources into a free code editor. I
wondered how come when they first released it, now the picture clears. I
don't think Emacs or barely some other editor can compete with MS,
simply nobody has so much resource. That is of course not an argument
for or against TS, just a thought about people prefereing a tool. Yes, I
agree with you that syntax highlight out of the box for a certain
library like Node oor Vue might help Emacs. I have nothing against that
argument.

>                                                TS may be useful not only
> for syntax highlight and indentation but also for code navigation and
> some basic syntax checking.
Yes, that would be a nice thing if it could be used for more than just
syntax and indentation.