Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Maybe we're taking a wrong approach towards tree-sitte

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Maybe we're taking a wrong approach towards tree-sitter
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:55:46 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
>> Cc: r12451428287@163.com,  manuel@ledu-giraud.fr,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 05:12:54 -0700

>> > That "linking" happens when Emacs is linked against the TS library,
>> > right?
>>
>> I don't know what you mean by "the TS library".
>
> I mean libtree-sitter.a produced by building the library.
>
>> I'm guessing you mean the tree-sitter runtime, in which case no, that
>> does not include any languages.
>
> "Include" in what sense?

There is no code in libtree-sitter.a that provides a language; all
languages are built separately, by the language developers.

https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter builds libtree-sitter.a, and
the command line tools to build a language.

https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-python builds the object file
providing the python language.

There are many other languages, each with its own repository.

--
-- Stephe