Re: Add hints to documentation of car and cdr for (e)lisp newcomers - ta

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add hints to documentation of car and cdr for (e)lisp newcomers - take 2
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 20:07:56 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: lists@traduction-libre.org,  asjo@koldfront.dk,  stefan@marxist.se,
>   monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 19:01:40 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > The new sentence interrupts the continuity, and now "Probably
> > introduced at ..." is missing the context and sounds like bad English.
> >
> > I think it would be better to move the reference to other functions to
> > the end of the *Help* buffer text.  After all, it's a kind-of "See
> > also", which is normally found at the end.
>
> That's true, but the "probably introduced" bit is the least important
> thing in the *Help* buffer, so emphasising it in the current way is
> unfortunate.
>
> I think we should move it to the end of the buffer, or hide it by
> default (with some button to reveal this and other less-than-vital
> stuff).

That's orthogonal.

It is unreasonable to stick the reference to other functions before we
describe the current function.  It distracts and means the users need
to read more before they get to the "meat" for which they invoked the
help.  Let's not go overboard with these helpers: they are just
helpers, not the main part of the docs.  "See also" is at the end for
a reason.