Re: Add hints to documentation of car and cdr for (e)lisp newcomers - ta

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add hints to documentation of car and cdr for (e)lisp newcomers - take 2
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 19:57:57 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 18:30:35 +0200
> Cc: asjo@koldfront.dk, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, stefan@marxist.se,
>  Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I've now tweaked how the links in *Help* work so that they take you to
> the proper place in the shortdoc buffer.

Thanks, but could we perhaps improve it?  The display looks something
like this now:

  split-string-shell-command is an autoloaded Lisp function in
  ‘shell.el’.

  (split-string-shell-command STRING)

    Other relevant functions are documented in the string group.
                                                   ------
    Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 28.1.
                                                   ----
  Split STRING (a shell command) into a list of strings.
  General shell syntax, like single and double quoting, as well as
  backslash quoting, is respected.

The new sentence interrupts the continuity, and now "Probably
introduced at ..." is missing the context and sounds like bad English.

I think it would be better to move the reference to other functions to
the end of the *Help* buffer text.  After all, it's a kind-of "See
also", which is normally found at the end.