Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 16:11:47 +0300

On 10.04.2021 07:04, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I think it would be desirable to change the default UI just enough so
that a code like Xref can make `completing-read` display the
completions eagerly.
The *Completions* window, you mean?

I was thinking of a somewhat generic way to tell the UI that the list
should be shown eagerly.  Presumably the default UI would react to it by
displaying the *Completions* window, yes.

This basically sounds like icomplete or Ivy, and might get the same pushback as the suggestion to use one of them by default.

In any case, I'd be happy to see experiments in that direction.

It would still miss the ability to quickly accept one of them
with RET.

Right, but the cycle-threshold helps with that, no?

At the moment, IIUC, the UI either lets you cycle, or shows the *Completions* buffer, but not both at the same time.

Perhaps you're suggesting to remove that limitation (what would happen if I dismiss *Completions* and then press TAB again?).

Maybe the optimal UI which is close enough to the default behavior would look more like icomplete-vertical: the items closer to the prompt, and there is a visible selection which you can accept with RET.