RE: [External] : Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 22:07:24 +0000

> > At the moment, IIUC, the UI either lets you cycle, or shows
> > the *Completions* buffer, but not both at the same time.
>
> Looks like we may want to revisit this choice, then.
>
> > Perhaps you're suggesting to remove that limitation
>
> Exactly.

FWIW, my tiny library sortie.el provides that.

You can cycle while seeing the candidates you cycle
among in *Completions*.  And you can change sort
orders on the fly by hitting a key (`C-,' by default).

The file header has a tiny toy example of Lisp use.

In general, IMO, it makes sense to bind both
`display-sort-function' and `cycle-sort-function' to
the same function.  (I've never understood why Emacs
has separate sort functions for display and cycling.)

(I pulled sortie.el out of what Icicles provides for
defining and changing sort orders.  And I pulled
keysee.el, which uses sortie.el, out of Icicles key
completion.)