Re: [GNU ELPA] New package proposal: aggressive-completion.el

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU ELPA] New package proposal: aggressive-completion.el
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 12:36:18 +0300

* Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> [2021-04-03 11:19]:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to propose the attached aggressive-completion.el as a new GNU
> ELPA package.  I've used this since several months and now had the time
> to extract it from my ~/.emacs and make a proper minor-mode out of it.
>
> What is it?
> ===========
>
> I've used several different minibuffer completion frameworks in the past
> (including ivy, raven, and selectrum) in the past but always came back
> to the standard emacs minibuffer completion with its nice configuration
> means in terms of `completion-category-overrides' and friends.
>
> What I've liked with the other frameworks, however, was that the
> completion candidates are immediately visible and in many scenarios I
> needed less typing (especially less pinky-stressing TAB-ing).
>
> So the central idea of aggressive-completion.el is that it
>
>   1) automatically completes for you after a short delay, and it
>   2) always shows the completion help (unless there are too many).
>
> Without further ado, here it is (comments welcome):

I wish to try it out. I recommend that you first do:

M-x checkdoc-buffer

as to follow conventions. I can also see these compiler errors.

aggressive-completion.el:50:1: Warning: defgroup for ‘aggressive-completion’
    fails to specify containing group
aggressive-completion.el:66:1: Warning: defcustom for
    ‘aggressive-completion-no-complete-commands’ fails to specify type
aggressive-completion.el:66:1: Warning: defcustom for
    ‘aggressive-completion-no-complete-commands’ fails to specify type

In aggressive-completion--setup:
aggressive-completion.el:134:24: Warning: reference to free variable
    ‘aggressive-completion-minibuffer-map’

In end of data:
aggressive-completion.el:155:35: Warning: the function
    ‘icomplete-fido-backward-updir’ is not known to be defined.