Re: [GNU ELPA] New package proposal: aggressive-completion.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [GNU ELPA] New package proposal: aggressive-completion.el
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 16:26:35 -0400

>>> (defcustom aggressive-completion-no-complete-commands
>>>   '( left-char icomplete-fido-backward-updir minibuffer-complete
>>>      right-char delete-backward-char backward-kill-word
>>>      backward-kill-paragraph backward-kill-sentence backward-kill-sexp
>>>      delete-char kill-word kill-line completion-at-point)
>>>   "Commands after which automatic completion is not performed."
>>>   :type '(repeat command))
[...]
> How hard can it be to get it right on the first try?!? ;-)

BTW, you might want to document (via comments) the reason behind all
those choices.  E.g. the set of possible completions generally depends
on the position of `point` (e.g. for the `partial-completion` style,
there's an implicit `*` at point), so whether or not to refresh the
*Completions* buffer after `left-char` (for example) is not as obvious
a decision as one might think.

Also, listing command names inevitably can cause problems for
circumstances where another command name (e.g. defined as a thin wrapper
for a standard command) is used.  I don't really have a better solution
to offer, tho, unless you can think of a clear statement of which kinds
of commands should be included/excluded, such that we could then check
using hooks that let us record what the command has actually done.

        Stefan