Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 15:04:57 -0700

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 02:20 PM, Vasilij Schneidermann <mail@vasilij.de> wrote:

I find the GtkFixed widget that contains the windows of a frame, then I add the webkitgtk widget as a child of that GtkFixed. So everything under the widget is obscured, including any text written into the webkit-mode buffer. In fact I use the buffer for processing module->lisp async messages. I
monitor for changes in the coordinates of the window with
`window-size-change-functions`. Child frames are also added as children of the GtkFixed widget which presents a problem for things like posframe. I ensure that the webkit view is always below such child frames, as it would
be if it were rendered as part of the buffer's window itself.

Could this approach be used to perform OpenGL drawing or obtaining a cairo context to draw on? I'm not terribly interested in putting a
webview inside Emacs, 3D/2D graphics however...

Vasilij

Yes, the webkitgtk widget is ultimately just drawing itself on cario or opengl contexts. So if you only care about taking over the display of a window, this approach should work fine. I'm not sure it would be wise, or necessarily possible, to use this approach to mix elements drawn with GtkWidgets and Emacs' own display code.