Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 19:10:50 +0300

* Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> [2020-11-03 18:34]:
> Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > I've just published an elisp package that extends and configures
> > dired-mode with features that many people have come to take for granted
> > in other programming languages. For the source code and the detailed
> > description, see: http://github.com/Boruch-Baum/emacs-diredc
> >
> > If the project is interested in it, I can assign the copyright.
>
> One item that stands out (to me) from the feature list is:
>
>     * Trash management
>
>     per xfreedesktop standard
>     restore trashed files to their original locations
>     empty the trash, along with its administrative overhead
>     view trash summary information
>
> Perhaps something like this would be useful to add directly to dired.el
> and/or files.el?  I'm not sure what is currently missing (and I don't
> use a trash folder myself), so I cannot say.

I use trash folder as to prevent some mistakes when deleting
stuff. This package should support the built-in features and not
deviate, though I do not know if it deviates in relation to trashing.

Inspect veriable delete-by-moving-to-trash

move-file-to-trash is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
‘files.el’.

(move-file-to-trash FILENAME)

  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 23.2.

Move the file (or directory) named FILENAME to the trash.
When ‘delete-by-moving-to-trash’ is non-nil, this function is
called by ‘delete-file’ and ‘delete-directory’ instead of
deleting files outright.

If the function ‘system-move-file-to-trash’ is defined, call it
 with FILENAME as an argument.
Otherwise, if ‘trash-directory’ is non-nil, move FILENAME to that
 directory.
Otherwise, trash FILENAME using the freedesktop.org conventions,
 like the GNOME, KDE and XFCE desktop environments.  Emacs moves
 files only to "home trash", ignoring per-volume trashcans.

--
There are 43 messages yet in my incoming mailbox.