Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 12:57:31 +0300

* Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com> [2020-11-04 11:54]:
> But you were using emacsclient, correct? If so, then closing an Xterm
> won't kill the server (that's kind-of one of the main points of using
> the server/client setup).

Yes, it did not close server. But it blocked any usage on XTerm.

> Then what was the window environment displayed at the beginning of the
> video? You just said above that you went back to the X frame of emacs,
> so you were in some kind of X window manager...

That is IceWM.

> OK, then. I'll consider your point about picking up a default shell from
> /etc/passwd. I don't like depending upon that file being readable to
> just any user, but the possibility could be taken into account.

It is traditionally called /etc/passwd but does not contain any
passwords. It is basic information of users you know it. It can
contain even "room number" or website, email, phone, anything.

I do not think Emacs looks into /etc/passwd but then again if you are
opening the shell you should look into what was set in Emacs as
default.

OK let me try again.