Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 10:15:44 +0300

* Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> [2020-10-27 07:14]:
> > You just enable helm-mode and do C-h f
> Not sure what you mean there. I have Helm always enabled :-). C-h f will
> jump to function definition if I have it under cursor already. I ment
> more like helm-occur, to show a list of functions that have simmilar
> names and permutation on words in names (fuzzy search), and then when
> moving cursor in helm buffer it would show doc for the function in
> another window. C-h f asks you for a precise name; but sure helm completes
> the name in help.

Helm is great package.

Let us say you would have Hyperbole, you would then simply click
action key on following line:
{M-x customize-apropos RET helm SPC fuzzy RET}

and get the helm fuzzy options. without writing the above.

> > Then install Hyperbole package from GNU ELPA and use Action key to
> > jump to function definitions, very handy! It has also other look up
> > functions.
> Never used Hyperbole; seems to me like very big package so I am lazy to
> install it and get into it. Also feels like a lot of things is already
> provided by Org mode so I never really cared to install and learn it.
> But that is just my impression by reading their webpage; are there some
> unique and really useful features not found elsewhere?

It is not equivalent to Org. There is file to read Why Use {C-h h d w}
and you come back with {C-h h h}. GNU Hyperbole is replacing so many
other new packages that reinvent its features, manages frames,
windows, remembers frame positions, jumps to various links, has per
directory link or button files for quick jumping from file to file,
jumps quickly from emacs-lisp function to its definition or various
other resources and it is not dependent of specific mode such as Org
mode

--
Jean Louis