Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 15:22:59 +0200

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-09-29 17:12]:
>> > Search documentation is separate feature from looking up any technical
>> > or special word in glossary
>>
>> No, I think it's quite related, especially since the Glossary is part
>> of the manual.
>
> It is related. Let me express myself better, I am proposing a
> function, something like a long click or key press that is then
> searching in the glossary. Maybe underlying Lisp functions can be used
> for that feature.

Would it be possible to make something like Helm occur where I can type
a term as pattern in minibuffer and then helm will show different hits
in a buffer; say something like those ambigious names I don't remember
like dired-file-name-at-point and dired-filename-at-point; or if there
is a function and local varaible with same name; so that docs for
all hits are shown in an helm occur buffer, which I can easiry navigate
when I wish just to skim over what function does? I would prefer that to
C-h f or C-h v.

It is already really awesome to be able to see parameters shown on
modeline when I call a function in minibuffer; and jumping into doch
with C-h ... when I wish to test how something works or see the
implementation in another window is indespensible. I just miss something
to look up docs when I need to clear up what something was when I know
how use it but have maybe forgotten some details (like did I want
string-replace or replace-string? ). Maybe there is already something
like that, I am just not aware of it?

Would be cool for docs, but it would be also very cool for a dictionary
in general; say for pulling a description of a word from different
dictionaries.