Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 00:16:44 -0400

1. Looking for free password managers on GNU/Linux makes sense,
and perhaps developing another would be useful.

However, neither of these possibly useful activities
directly affects the ethical issue of leading users to use lastpass.

2. If and when the free password managers are miles above lastpass, it
could happen that no one has a rational use for lastpass except due to
habit.

If and when that happens, perhaps people could modify the Lisp package
for using lastpass so that it clearly informs users, that lastpass is
not worth even trying and they should instead try the free password
managers X, Y, Z.

3. Once that change is, perhaps that Lisp package would be so unlikely
to lead anyone to use lastpass that we would have no reason to worry
about informing users about its existence.  In particular, it would
not be a flaw in MELPA that MELPA contains it.

4. However, each of the other programs in MELPA that depends on a
nonfree program would be a separate issue.

5. If someday MELPA contains no programs that might lead users
to use a nonfree program, another one might be added at any time.
As long as the MELPA maintainers say it is ok to add such packages,
we have to suppose that more such packages may be added.

--
Dr Richard Stallman