Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 19:55:01 +0200

Le ven. 16 oct. 2020 à 19:32, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> a écrit :
>    So the difference is to say "please" and be polite when we ask them to
>    remove some packages?
>
> That is the differences between asking someone if they can do
> something for you, and giving them an order ... so yes?

Okay, with the slight difference that clearly they *can* do it:
removing a package is a trivial action. The question is really whether
they *want* to do it.

> If they say no, then they said no.  Maybe one can convince them of
> otherwise, but trying to force their hand would be unkind and unfair.

Okay, as long as their saying no would not immediately make them as
"bad" as the few packages they refuse to remove.

I still personally do not wish for them to remove those packages, and
I explained why earlier, but that's just me.

> Just like it is unkind to try and force the GNU project to for example
> recommend Melpa in Emacs since it would go against our principles.

As far as I can tell, nobody in this conversation is asking for that.