Re: master ec9523a: Add a keybinding to the help menu to display manuals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master ec9523a: Add a keybinding to the help menu to display manuals
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 09:10:26 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: stephen.berman@gmx.net, larsi@gnus.org, stefankangas@gmail.com,
>       emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 00:08:58 -0400
>
>   > We have a docs directory, where we keep Texinfo sources of the
>   > documentation; why not keep the Info files there?
>
> It is ok for the command which generates them to generate them there.
> But we need to install them in the system's directory for Info files.

The ELPA package installation procedure (implemented in package.el,
AFAIU), doesn't install Info files.

It is not a catastrophe not to move the files physically -- they come
with a DIR file of their own, and thus can be added to the Info
directory list -- but the problem is that they are mixed with many
non-Info files, and that violates the expectations of Info readers.