Re: master ec9523a: Add a keybinding to the help menu to display manuals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master ec9523a: Add a keybinding to the help menu to display manuals
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 16:51:38 +0300

> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
> Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 00:33:52 +0200
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> And it's even worse if Info-directory-list includes directories that
> contain lots of extensionless files that aren't info files, such as, for
> example, the AUCTeX package from GNU ELPA, which contains such files as
> ChangeLog, COPYING, GNUmakefile, etc., all of which are listed in the
> *Completions* buffer, and if you choose one of them, it gets visited in
> Info mode, which throws the user-error: "No such node or anchor: Top".

Why do we use that directory for Info files?  It sounds like a royal
mess; info.el was never meant to face these problems.

We have a docs directory, where we keep Texinfo sources of the
documentation; why not keep the Info files there?  Then we'd only need
to avoid *.texi files as completion candidates (which is a good idea
anyway).

Alternatively, we could, of course, have a list of files in the
package's main directory that need to be skipped when looking for the
Info files (ChangeLog, COPYING, GNUmakefile, *.el, *.elc, etc.).  But
I think using a separate directory is much cleaner.