Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 19:44:37 +0000

I'm not sure what detail I need to provide. Isn't it clear that using a buffer-local variable doesn't resolve problems with using that same buffer in another level of recursive-edit? Or that changing the window-start position from under the feet of the display engine is something that should be avoided? Why would you need examples to realize that a design based on this cannot be clean, in the sense that use cases where it causes trouble will eventually surface?

I think can understand some of Gregory's frustration. If those problems are real, it should be possible to showcase them.

The second one was showcased by Gregory himself.

It's unbelievable you dare to write such a sentence, and from my point of view makes it clear how hard it is to have a discussion with you. For those who are not aware of the context:

- I explained (to Stefan) what a part of my code did, and said "it does this because otherwise point could become invisible during a second or two"

- Eli jumps in the conversation and says "no, that's not possible, point can never become invisible, if it does it's a bug, please tell me how this can happen"

- I write a recipe to demonstrate how this can happen

- Eli replies that, even though point becomes invisible with the recipe, this is after all not a bug, and that the bug is in the recipe

- Eli now uses the recipe I sent him as an argument to explain that my code, in which I (obviously) do not do what I did in the recipe, can cause "potential problems"

How could anyone remain calm with this?  I can't.