Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 22:24:47 +0300

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Cc: Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>,  spacibba@aol.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>   casouri@gmail.com,  juri@linkov.net
> Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 20:14:30 +0100
>
> > I'm not sure what detail I need to provide.  Isn't it clear that using
> > a buffer-local variable doesn't resolve problems with using that same
> > buffer in another level of recursive-edit?  Or that changing the
> > window-start position from under the feet of the display engine is
> > something that should be avoided?  Why would you need examples to
> > realize that a design based on this cannot be clean, in the sense that
> > use cases where it causes trouble will eventually surface?
>
> I think can understand some of Gregory's frustration.  If those problems
> are real, it should be possible to showcase them.

The second one was showcased by Gregory himself.

The first one should be clear: binding a local variable to a value
will have that value in effect for all the recursive uses of the same
minibuffer, something that isn't necessarily expected by the nested
users.

> Though that's not always easy to do, those examples could better
> illustrate where the fractures in Gregory's design are, and
> encourage him to undestand the problem and find alternatives.

Sorry, I'm unable to encourage Gregory to understand the shortcomings,
no matter how much I tried, I guess it's my fault.  Although it sounds
like the same situation is repeating with Martin's advice regarding
mini-window resizing, so maybe it isn't entirely my fault after all.