Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 19:07:50 +0300

* Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> [2020-10-02 06:57]:

>   >   > This site seems to offer a gateway between Wiktionary and DICT
>   >   > clients:
>
>   > But to put the blame on dict as the problem seems strange; it isn't
>   > causing this and it is no different than finger, bug trackers, or even
>   > just a plain wget.
>
> I don't want to argue about whose fault it is.  The point is that
> the lookup software should handle a format that we can download
> Wikipedia in.

Let me repeat that GNU Dico is also dictd RFC 2229 server, and it is
already GNU software, so GNU already has its own dictd - RFC 2229
server, which already has various modules to include various types of
dictionaries, not only being in RFC 2229 format.

There is module wikimedia that then can use the Wiktionary as database
and serve such through localhost server.

So the solution is already there.

Server and client is here:
https://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/software/dico/

dictionary.el can request from server the definitions.

modules are explained here:
https://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/software/dico/modules.html

One of them is mediawiki module which can retrieve from Wiktionary and
>From Wikipedia too. Imagine.

Thus Emacs can soon have access to all kinds of dictionaries and
results can be displayed inside of Emacs, including results from
Wiktionary and from Wikipedia.

Jean