Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: chad
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 11:45:27 -0700

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 3:31 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
But the argument "it's more popular, so it must be better" is too naive, I think.

As conversations progress, details get dropped because context builds up. That said, I think it's important to realize that "it's more popular, so it must be better" isn't the argument that brought up this (current wave of this periodically-recurring) discussion; rather, the argument is "people try emacs but go (back) to VSCode, because ...". Usually, that sentence ends in some form of "it's much easier/more intuitive to get started" or "it's quick/easy/obvious how to get it to 'it just-works'".

In other words, the popularity is a symptom, not a cause. It's worthwhile to remind ourselves of this now and then, but it's not the central thrust of the original argument (even if it is sometimes used as evidence for subsequent points).

Similarly, this point: