Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 14:15:40 +0200

Le lun. 14 sept. 2020 à 13:54, Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> a écrit :

    >> We could set 'kill-buffer-hook' to a querying function in buffers
    >> created via the toolbar.

    Thibaut> There is already a (buffer-local) variable buffer-offer-save which, set to
    Thibaut> 'always, causes save-some-buffers to query for save the corresponding
    Thibaut> buffer, if non-empty.

Right, but toolbar-save doesnʼt run save-some-buffers. That could be
added, but it seems people feel toolbar space is precious (here the
default toolbar uses slightly more than 50% of the available width
when running -Q)

The save button runs save-buffer, so it should DTRT already, no?

That covers the 'exiting emacs' scenario, weʼd still need something to
cover the 'clicked the kill-buffer button'.

That's correct, I didn't have this usage in mind. Kill-buffer-hook seems to
be more for cleanup, but kill-buffer-query-functions could do the job as a
first step (as in, "do you really want to kill without saving?"). I believe that
the most natural would be to add such a test to kill-buffer, since it already
takes care of modified file buffers.

All those approaches would also affect other commands killing the buffer,
preventing a user from accidentally losing data because of an unfortunate
keypress.

Or if we really want to go
whole hog, we automatically save the state of buffers created via the
toolbar, and restore them on startup.

Restoring them as-is is what notepad++ does (or did when I last used it
10 years ago). I personally did not like this behavior, and I didn't have
remotely as many open files in notepad++ as I do in a typical emacs session.

On the other hand, auto-saving and offering to restore could be sensible.