Re: master 262d0c6: Mark some tests as expensive

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master 262d0c6: Mark some tests as expensive
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 13:27:26 +0200

>> I also don't understand the more general issue with how long the test
>> suite runs.  While it runs, you can do something useful on a modern
>> system (or just go for a coffee), so why does it matter?
>
> I appreciate a fast test suite -- I often do a "make check" before
> pushing just to see that nothing was inadvertently broken by a
> seemingly-innocuous change.
>
> So I think Stefan K's changes here are correct, and that we should have
> small, fast unit tests only in the default "make check", and have the
> longer-running integration tests on a different level.  (Hydra should
> run all these, though, and if it doesn't, that should be changed.)

I would agree to move even more checks to :expensive, if we could run
them for all major target platforms. But we have only hydra and emba,
running on GNU/Linux.

Additionally, if we move *all* tests for a given feature to expensive,
as Stefan did with autorevert, your "make check" before pushing won't
help anymore for this feature.

Best regards, Michael.