Re: Interactive guide for new users (was: Re: Gather a list of confusion

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users (was: Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 14:38:22 +0000

And I still think that a short "guided tour" would be useful at the end: what/where is the minibuffer and what is its purpose, what does the mode-line contain, how to find help (here I would list C-h m, C-h p, C-h k / C-h w / C-h a, C-h l, C-h ?), …

I agree, the current tutorial is a bit verbose (not that I didn’t read it when I started using Emacs, but…). A shorter tutorial introducing the most important bindings and operations would be helpful (I imagine).

It should not just be "shorter", it should be *really* short. I've just read it again, for a new user it is almost useless. I think the following two keybindings would suffice: "C-x 1" and "C-g". And perhaps the four following ones to give the new user a sense of what using C-<something> and M-<something> is: "M-f and M-b", "C-a and C-e". Note that these four keybindings are also on M-left and M-right and home and end, which is what a new user would use (and it would work).

I would perhaps also add "M-%", which is very useful and not documented in the tutorial.

All this could be done in two screens I think.