Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Gather a list of confusions beginner tend to have
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 19:20:34 -0400

> I don't think this scales.  Emacs has thousands of options, I'm
> guessing hundreds of them are important for the audience you have in
> mind.  You will get a huge set of many options that people with
> "TL;DR" state of mind will never be able to review, let alone decide
> what is for them.

I think there are a few configurations that a beginner would want to change
right after he starts Emacs, usually very basic settings. If you think it’s a
good idea, I can go to reddit and ask what people missed when then started
using Emacs for the first few minutes.

FWIW, here is a demo of the guide: https://youtu.be/0qMskTAR2aw

The demo inserts some configurations into ~/.emacs.d/init.el after completion.

> The grouping of the options must be based on some "themes" or similar,
> to be useful.  The challenge is, of course, to come up with a useful
> list of such "themes", and then decide which options should each theme
> enable.

Others has described the out-of-the-box experience of doom Emacs, it seems to
me that such job is better done by a “distribution” of Emacs than by vanilla
Emacs. OTHO, vanilla Emacs could add a tiny guide like I proposed to more or
less improve the life for those who started Emacs without reading any tutorial
on the internet.

Yuan