Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:49:57 +0300

On 2020-09-11 07:16 +03, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>   > There was an idea in another thread that we could ask major distros to
>   > not disable menu bar, and I said I could create the issues, but I though
>   > I’d wait for some of the maintainers (dis)agree first. What do you
>   > think, would such a thing be useful?
> I think that would be a good idea.

So I just opened three tickets:

https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/13939
https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs/issues/3926
https://github.com/bbatsov/prelude/issues/1278

and contacted Phil Hagelberg, author of better-defaults.el, in private,
because the Github repo was archived and I couldn’t figure out how to
report a bug on his sr.ht repo (looks like the feature is disabled).

If anybody else knows of other prolific distributions, please reply here
and I can add open tickets on their bug trackers too.

> Another idea: code that runs for beginning users could tell the user,
>
>   To learn what is available in Emacs, we recommend you type
>   C-u M-x menu-bar-mode RET
>   and then look at all the entries in each menu.

You mean if menu-bar-mode is disabled?

There is a variety of ideas like this, and they are nice, but IMHO the
social side of this issue is more relevant---why users don’t find and/or
look for all the help and docs bundled with Emacs?---and a social
solution would be of greater use.  E.g. we could prominently feature the
easy availability of extensive docs in Emacs right up top on
<gnu.org/s/emacs>.

If I was to give an Emacs intro class tomorrow to non-programmers, the
very first thing I’d teach, after a very brief description/demo of
Emacs, would be C-h i/f/v/k and how to navigate Info and Help buffers.
That’s because offline documentation is simply _absent_ from most
software people use daily, and many even lack any online
documentation---you’re expected to look at it and /know/.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427