Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 19:27:44 +0200

> Lars Ljung proposed to change frame-title-format to something more
> modern and similar to Firefox, gvim, Gimp, LibreOffice, etc.:
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/41147

> We currently have:

>     (setq frame-title-format
>           '(multiple-frames "%b"
>                             ("" invocation-name "@" system-name)))

> The suggestion is to change it to:

>     (setq frame-title-format "%b - GNU Emacs")

> Alternatively, I think one could also reasonably choose:

>     (setq frame-title-format
>           '(multiple-frames "%b"
>                             ("%b - GNU Emacs")))

> I personally think it makes sense to just do what other modern software
> does here, but Eli felt that we need more opinions before making any
> changes.  So please let us know if you have any thoughts.

One point about %b which I think hasn't been raised yet. When selecting
another window (even if in the same frame), the frame title will change.
In addition, when using a desktop environment's panel (for example,
xfce4-panel) with "window buttons", there will be some visual activity
outside of the Emacs frame as well. Not sure if that could be
distracting.