RE: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 10:52:24 -0700 (PDT)

> One point about %b which I think hasn't been raised yet. When selecting
> another window (even if in the same frame), the frame title will change.
> In addition, when using a desktop environment's panel (for example,
> xfce4-panel) with "window buttons", there will be some visual activity
> outside of the Emacs frame as well. Not sure if that could be
> distracting.

It could be distracting.  Anything decided on
could be noise, or distracting, to some.

What you describe for window-switching could also
be considered a feature, not a problem: the title
tells you the selected window's buffer etc.

Choosing default behavior is always a trade-off.

What's most important is that it be easy for users
to customize the behavior.
___

That's kind of the case, and kind of not the case.
`frame-title-format' is like `mode-line-format':
in the general case it's not so simple to configure.

It would be great if Someone (TM) came up with easy
ways to configure the format.  Yes, I know we have
mode-line variables etc.  But a simple way to get
a fair amount of configuration without being a Lisp
pro would be helpful, IMO.

That said, I wouldn't want to see any of the existing
mode-line config features disappear, just in some
attempt to "dumb things down".  Adding some simple
ways to configure should be a plus, not a replacement.