Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 20:53:36 +0200

> On 8/23/20 9:07 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> it doesn't have to be an ASCII character.

I really didn't want to open that can of worms. Now we can have endless
bikeshedding. :)

Also, shouldn't one be extra conservative for the characters displayed
in the modeline, as not all systems may be capable of displaying the
full unicode repertoire?

> OK, then how about this refinement of Ulrich's suggestion?

>  U -- utf-8*  (all variants)
>  W -- utf-16* (all variants)
>  Ǔ -- utf-7                  U+01D3 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH CARON
>  ǔ -- utf-7-imap             U+01D4 LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH CARON
>  У -- koi8-u                 U+0423 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER U

> W because it's double-U, and a caron because it looks like a 7 rotated.

W is already used for iso-latin-8 aka iso-8859-14.