Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 21:13:25 +0200

>> Also, shouldn't one be extra conservative for the characters
>> displayed in the modeline, as not all systems may be capable of
>> displaying the full unicode repertoire?

> I just said we could do it, I didn't say we should.  From my POV, we
> could simply let these sleeping dogs lie, I very much doubt that many
> users even look at these indicators.

I stumbled upon this when updating a short section about Emacs in the
Gentoo developer manual, where I realised that I cannot say that "-"
and "U" in the modeline indicate ASCII and UTF-8, respectively.

IMHO these two are the most important ones nowadays, so they should be
unique. I don't really care about the rest (maybe "1" is still somewhat
important here in Europe), and tried to change as little as possible in
my suggestion. Namely, only move the ones colliding with "U" out of the
way and otherwise stay with ASCII.