Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 12:06:38 +0200

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Yes, they aknowledge this fact. And yet they explicitly forbid embedding
> these secrets into (F)OSS applications. See
>
>   https://developers.google.com/terms
>
> Section 4b, first paragraph.

For those that don't like following links:

b. Confidential Matters

1 Developer credentials (such as passwords, keys, and client IDs) are intended
 be used by you and identify your API Client. You will keep your credentials
 confidential and make reasonable efforts to prevent and discourage other API
 Clients from using your credentials. Developer credentials may not be embedded
 in open source projects.

The FSF may, of course, just say "well, we don't care about whatever is
in that stupid terms of condition -- we're for free software, and we
think these terms are immoral, and so we'll just ignore them (while
using the API)".  And that'd be fine.

But somebody at the FSF would need to register a developer account with
Google, in the FSF's name, and get ready to be sued (or billed; Google
have a way of saying "well, now you're using this API so much that you
have to pay" at random) by Google.