Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 14:40:08 +0200

> On Tuesday, 11 Aug 2020 at 18:11, Robert Pluim wrote:
>> Iʼm starting to agree with Stefan here: maybe itʼs time to start using
>> a different email provider.

> The long term solution is your own domain etc.
Domain itself is maybe not enought, you probably think of running own
mailserver/website etc?

Running own server requires resources and knowledge most people don't
have, a 24/7 machine that has to be secured in a proper way.

Using a webhotel will still put user data on some corporate server that
will probably oblige to whatever "legal" request local goverment might
impose on them. Imagine having  your domain in a place like Belarus or
China. Even some of "free and democratic" countries are nowdays imposing
laws and "security" measurea that can hardly be seen as free and democratic.

For example here in Sweden they have recently passed a law that allows
police to hack into any personal computer or phone without legal request
to and authorisation by a court, on a mere suspicion of a crime.
Earlier they needed to acquire a legal permission from a public
prosecutor by presenting their suspicions and evidence for those. We
still have some way to go untill we reach Belarus level, but as it seems
by public and media's lack of concern, nothing is impossible even here.