Re: Emacs 27.1 released

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 released
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 21:50:33 +0200

12 aug. 2020 kl. 21.21 skrev Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:

> I just counted its callers, that's all.  A change in a function that
> has many callers could have unintended consequences beyond the
> function itself.

I'm very happy that you are taking an interest in Calc again, and especially
that you took the trouble of digging into the ramifications of this little
correction! I'm most curious to hear what you found out. You see, when the
change to calcFunc-gcd was made, naturally I did look at its callers carefully
to assess the impact. Now since you brought it up I've done so again, and found
nothing new: all users of that function are either indifferent to the change,
or actively benefit from it.

It seems clear that the code is less buggy now than before the change and
should therefore be preferred for the sake of correctness. However, I could be
wrong, and would very much benefit from your findings so that my mistakes can
be fixed on master!