Re: Emacs 27.1 released

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 released
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 20:01:24 +0200

12 aug. 2020 kl. 18.47 skrev Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:

>> c48bb7deb8 Preserve match data in 'kbd'
>
> Doesn't seem urgent: we've had this forever, didn't we?

None of these changes are urgent, obviously. Does this mean that you consider
this change somehow not safe enough, given your stated disjunction? Perhaps I
misunderstood your criteria. This fix is of minor importance, anyway.

>> 8ef84632c2 Accept lexical lambda in auto-insert-alist
>
> I don't think this is important enough, but you could try convincing
> me by telling more details, including when this was introduced.

The code is old and assumes that a list not starting with 'lambda' cannot be a
function. That ceased to be true when lexical binding was introduced; it was a
test failure on master that alerted us to it. Fixing this obvious flaw just
seemed natural and risk-free. It's nothing I'd fight for, in any case.

>> 60cd6cce55 Calc: GCD(0,x)=GCD(x,0)=|x|, not x (bug#41279)
>
> I'm uneasy with this, as it would indirectly affect many functions.

Which many functions did you have in mind? It was precisely the interaction
with other functions that prompted the fix,  since Calc attempts to evaluate
(simplify) arguments to higher-order constructs like sum() before those
functions are applied.

> Can't this wait for Emacs 28?

Of course, it can wait indefinitely, like everything else on this list.
However, I thought fixing it would be nice to our users, especially since 27.2
is a bug fix release, and the change is quite confined.

> Thanks.

Thank you very much for the quick review!