Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:17:16 +0200

    João> On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 5:11 PM Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> The alternative is to register an 'Emacs' app, do the hoop jumping,
    >> and stick the various secret tokens in the Emacs sources, but as I
    >> understand it thatʼs expressly forbidden by Google's terms-of-use
    >> (correct me if Iʼm wrong, I haven't read them).

    João> Thanks for the clear explanation. I suppose this will affect
mbsync/isync
    João> as well. Is it very hard to design a program that periodically does
    João> all that "hoop jumping" for me and and writes to ~/.authinfo or to
    João> pass(1)'s password store?

If Iʼm not mistaken, the python script used by mutt that was mentioned
earlier does quite a bit of it. I donʼt know if it could be rewritten
in elisp.

    João> Iʼm starting to agree with Stefan here: maybe itʼs time to start using
    >> a different email provider.

    João> Maybe. But, sorry for the naive question, do you plan to throw
    João> the gmail address away?

Iʼve fallen into the Google trap the same as many have: too much of my
life, online and off, depends on that address, so Iʼd have to set up a
forwarder. [1]

    João> João,
    João> who had just gotten mbsync/gnus working decently some months ago

If this is 'no-cost' gmail, I think that might continue working for a
while (at least until someone at Google decides itʼs 'legacy' and
forces everyone to OAuth2, much like Microsoft are doing).

Robert "feeling like a very grumpy old man at the moment"

Footnotes:
[1]  If Iʼm feeling really brave Iʼll follow Lars' "how to set up a
     modern SMTP server" guide.