Re: Move newsticker to elpa?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Move newsticker to elpa?
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 16:55:24 +0300

> From: Ulf Jasper <ulf.jasper@web.de>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,  larsi@gnus.org,
>   dgutov@yandex.ru,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  raman@google.com
> Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 15:27:01 +0200
>
> > AFAIR, crisp.el was moved instead of being obsoleted.  So ada-mode is
> > probably the only example.
>
> IIUC both, crisp and ada-mode, have been moved -- what's the difference?

The difference is that we can expect no one to be hurt by moving an
obsolete package (which otherwise would have been moved to the
lisp/obsolete directory, where it must be loaded by hand).

> > We could have newsticker both in Emacs and in ELPA for a time, until
>
> If we had two newstickers, one in each repo, would we synchronise them?
> Or would we freeze one and work on the other?

You can ask the developers of a few packages that are developed
separately, like Org and MH-E.

> > we figure out how to have ELPA packages in an Emacs released tarball.
>
> Has it been decided already to deliver ELPA packages as part of an Emacs
> release?

We want to be able to do that eventually, but we didn't figure out the
details yet.