Re: Eglot and Tramp

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Eglot and Tramp
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:18:27 +0100

[sorry for the duplicate, Michael]

Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 3:54 PM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Yes. You could add (tramp "2.4.4") to your Package-Requires: header,
> >> this will be the next version in GNU ELPA. However, this would mean a
> >> dependency for all Eglot users, even if they are not interested in
> >> Tramp. Hmm.
> >
> > What Hmm? :-) Emacs users who are not "interested in Tramp" still get
> > it, too, right? Or does Tramp 2.4.4 come with some kind of potential
> > built-in annoyance? :-D
>
> No annoyance. But a user of Emacs 26.3 has Tramp 2.3.5 built-in. Because
> of Eglot, Tramp 2.4.4 would be installed for her from GNU ELPA, w/o
> having asked for.

Well, this user did ask for Eglot.  He will also get an updated
xref.el, project.el eldoc.el, flymake.el as already happens.  I'm
afraid this is just how inter-package dependencies work.

As long as Tramp 2.4.4 is (mostly) backward compatible to 2.3.5's uses...
there should be no (little) problem.

João