Re: Ergonomics: mouse clicking with scroll-margin

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: Ergonomics: mouse clicking with scroll-margin
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 19:58:56 +0200

On Sun, Jun 14 2020, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Can this be improved _without_ disabling scroll-margin?
>
> Can you propose a more useful behavior in that case?

Another solution would be to move the pointer along with the scrolling
buffer (as done occasionally in cad software when moving the viewport),
so that the pointer doesn't move from the POV of the buffer.

Kind of odd for an editor though.

> If you are saying that Emacs should put point inside the scroll-margin
> and leave it there in this case, then I don't recommend such a
> solution: any subsequent command will scroll the window anyway,
> because Emacs is programmed to keep point outside of the scroll
> margin.

Would that happen for _any_ command or just for commands that already
move the point?

If that happens only with a command that already moves the point up or
down, such as next-line, I'd actually say that's OK and I would find
that expected.

It's definitely an edge scenario, but less unorthodox than moving the
pointer IMHO.

> We need to come up with a more clever approach.

Fully open to any idea here.
This is just the first thing that came to mind.