Re: New feature in project.el: Remembering the previously used projects

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: New feature in project.el: Remembering the previously used projects
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 02:17:28 +0300

On 04.06.2020 01:34, Juri Linkov wrote:

While using this new feature, I discovered that switching projects
by directory is not quite handy, directory strings are too long
and begin with the same prefix.

Interesting. It's not really the case here, but I imagine how it is possible to be true for many people.

I think there is a need for an additional command to switch projects by name.

A clear advantage of Lisp data is that in this case project names
could be saved in the same file ~/.emacs.d/projects, e.g.:

   (("/project/path/"
     (name . "Project name"))

or after implementing the proposal from bug#41572 to use .dir-locals.el,
then maybe to save the project name in .dir-locals.el like

   ((nil . ((project-name . "Project name")

That's an option, but I wonder if we could do without it:

A separate question is how to assign a name to a project.

One way to avoid that, is to generate project names on the fly, in a uniquify fashion. If base directory names are unique, use those. Otherwise, prepend their parent names, and so on.

And we won't need a separate command. The exact strategy could be a user option, though.