RE: Just a thought about comment-line

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Just a thought about comment-line
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 09:58:20 -0700 (PDT)

> Since you are selecting whole lines to be commented, you might find
> comment-dwim (M-;) more to your liking. (If you select partial lines,
> it may also split them if the current mode only has end-of-line
> comments.)

IMO, `comment-dwim' is an inferior command.
It's OK for end-of-line commenting, and I use it
(only) for that.

(And the command that `M-;' was bound to by
default before `comment-dwim' was just as good for
end-of-line commenting.)

For block commenting, `comment-dwim' doesn't let
you nest and unnest a given level of commenting,
and control the number of comment chars used, etc.

For block commenting, `comment-region' is much
better.  And better still, I think, is the command
I posted a few minutes ago, `comment-region-lines'.

> FWIW I agree with you: a region that ends at the physical start of
> line, before indentation, should not be considered to include that
> line.

FWIW, I too agree about this.