Re: macOS child frame lower behavior

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: macOS child frame lower behavior
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 08:45:41 +0200

>> I see.  The code works here as intended with a GNUStep build (under
>> Debian's xfwm) so the problem is not on the Emacs side.  Does
>> 'raise-frame' with two child frames work as intended?
>
> No, it focuses the frame raised, but does not change its layering.
>
>> What happens when
>> you have two overlapping child frames and you click into the lower one?
>> Does it raise to the top?
>
> No, it does not.

Both of these sound pretty grave.  Would changing the visibility of
child frames help to work around these?

>> IIUC the following setup (which works here)
>> would fail: Make two normal frames A and B with A overlapping B and on B
>> make two child frames C and D where C overlaps D.  If you now in frame A
>> evaluate (raise-frame D), does as a side-effect B overlap A?
>
> Yes, whatever is done to a child actually impacts the parent.

So in this scenario D would _not_ appear on top of C while B appears on
top of A?

> If you remove a child and re-add it, you can change the order, which
> works for raise_frame, because when you add the child frame back it
> gets added as the top-most. I don't know how to emulate a lower_frame
> short of removing all of the children and then re-adding them in the
> proper order (with the one being lowered first).

Is such redrawing a chain of child frames visually noticeable?  Would it
work to make them all invisible first and then make them visible in the
proper order or do you have to unparent them first and then reparent
them in the proper order?

martin