Re: (emacs) Intro [was: Making Emacs popular again with a video]

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: (emacs) Intro [was: Making Emacs popular again with a video]
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 09:41:37 +0200

On 28.05.20 09:08, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 03:21:34 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>, Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
From: excalamus--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>

First, I think it oversells the accessibility of the documentation.
The Emacs documentation is extensive and well written.  However, I
find it quite difficult to navigate to a concept if that thing isn't a
function or variable.  I have been a beginner and asked myself, "What
is a cons cell?".  I found then, as I often still do, that leaving
Emacs (to use a web browser) yields results fast enough to not use
Emacs itself.  Ironically, I most often wind up at the gnu.org html
documentation.
Are you aware of the 'i' command in Info, and using it?

Get an error at the top of Info - works only inside Elisp

   Because its
purpose is precisely to help in the situations like you describe.  For
example, "what is a cons cell?" is immediately answered by typing this
in Info:

   i cons cell RET

or even

   i cons RET

Maybe we should have an interactive command that would let users type
the likes of "what is a cons cell" and translate that to the
appropriate Info-index command?  Because this extremely useful command
seems to be unknown and under-used.

Think that would be helpful.