Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 19:35:56 -0500

On 20 May 2020, Drew Adams wrote:
>Yes, I see now that you more likely meant that by "it".
>(It could have meant learning stick or learning that
>driving stick will ultimately pay off.)
>
>I'd say that many who end up being Emacs users (in the
>sense you intend) were _not_ convinced by others ahead
>of time as you suggest - though many others were, no
>doubt.
>
>And I'd say that some of those who weren't thus
>convinced have likely gotten their "Emacs user" bona
>fides at least partly thanks to the manuals and the
>help UI ("ask Emacs").
>
>IOW, I agree with your characterization of most Emacs
>users (i.e., other than any drive-by tasters who don't
>stay).  And I agree with your claim that having a
>mentor over the shoulder can be very helpful.  And I
>agree with your guess that many who do stay become
>convinced to try it and stick with it because of a
>payoff promised from outside Emacs itself (manuals).
>I disagree, if you also claim that _only_ those with
>mentors, or those convinced by others to stick it out,
>end up as users.
>
>The point that users who stick around and really use
>Emacs are the prime target of its "user friendliness"
>is one I agree with.  (Not the only target, but the
>main one.)  And the things you say help create Emacs
>users do in fact help, and they can even sometimes be
>determinant.  But it's not the case, IMO, that those
>things are required, to become an Emacs user (again,
>in your sense).

Agreed -- I don't think that's absolutely required.  I do think that a new user
stands a much greater chance of becoming a long-term, invested user when
persuaded (and ideally helped) by others who have already made that investment
successfully.  But it's not required.

Most of the long-term Emacs users I know personally seem to have been
socialized into it, but it could be the case that there's some selection bias
among the Emacs users I know!

Best regards,
-Karl